• Welcome to Jose's Read Only Forum 2023.

MenuetOS

Started by Kent Sarikaya, December 24, 2007, 10:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent Sarikaya

I came across this interesting OS. Written in Assembly.
http://www.menuetos.net/index.htm

This is another OS forked off of MenuetOS.
http://wiki.kolibrios.org/

Petr Schreiber

Thanks Kent,

looks nice. Interesting how much of the "alternative" OSs show Quake on their screens :)

Bye,
Petr
AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1GB RAM @ 533MHz | GeForce 6200 / GeForce 9500GT | 32bit Windows XP SP3

psch.thinbasic.com

Kent Sarikaya

They look like neat OS's considering they are small enough to install from floppies. I will try it on the old 100 mhz pentium computer sometime soon.

Nicola_Piano

https://kolibrios.org/it/index.htm

This OS is truly exceptional. I believe O2 could be a tool to implement software on this OS as it uses FASM as its main language.
If there were drivers to use some scanner / printer I would use it more frequently especially on older PCs.

Zlatko Vid

well ..o2 don't use fasm as far as i know

Nicola_Piano

Hi Aurel,
have you tried this OS?
I tried it on an old computer with a 1.44 disk and it's really interesting. :)

Zlatko Vid

Not that one because not work in Qemu
but i tried Kolibri... honeybird ...yeah ..small ...funny interesting
but nothing else

Nicola_Piano

Yes, of course, but it must be admitted that they are good at creating
a "windows" system in such a small space and fast enough.

A very appreciable job.

Zlatko Vid

I dont invesigating Kolibri that much i just tried
is even possible to install it on hdd?

Eduardo Jorge

Quote from: Nicola_Piano on May 05, 2022, 02:58:39 PM
Yes, of course, but it must be admitted that they are good at creating
a "windows" system in such a small space and fast enough.

I think the most important point is what you can do with it, what runs on it, what you can install on it.

Nicola_Piano

Hi
sure you are right. However, from a brief glimpse of the possibilities of use, I have seen that you can navigate on harddiscks and usb. You can edit rtf and txt, html documents. Spreadsheets can be created. There are emulators of some games like snes, dosbox. You can listen to audio and midi files present on the media. Look at pictures. Surf the Internet. Creating programs via FASM ...
I mean, whoever has an old pc, a 386 for example, can use it to do useful things ... maybe let the kid play with it ...

Eduardo Jorge

Quote from: Nicola_Piano on May 08, 2022, 03:26:55 PM

I mean, whoever has an old pc, a 386 for example, can use it to do useful things ... maybe let the kid play with it ...

386, 486, I believe that only collectors will have it, and they will prefer to use systems from the same era

maybe companies with old equipment that are still in use and need systems and don't work with current computers, but in this case it must be a difficult task to adapt all types of drives and programs

giving children to use is quite wasteful, due to the space occupied and energy spent,
being that there are many more current hardware but that have lost their processing power to new technologies
in this question you have to know what you want to do with the computer and what is able to run on the system

I have an all in one myself, it's running win7, it runs GTA SA very well, hd movies, among other things, but browsing the internet is very bad, practically impossible, and I've already tested several OS and several browsers
It's pretty much a matter of internet technology these days

Theo Gottwald

The biggest problem with these alternative OS'es are the drivers.

As long as there is not a "unified driver standard" between Hardware manufacturers,
you will end up using windows with most peripheral devices, Printers may be the smallest problem.

Otherwise you need to sell the machine like Apple, with the OS and the Software and the drivers for the "Special Hardware" that comes with this machine.

Generally such a OS would have significant safety advantages. However i guess that those who benefit from security problems, have already opened a new layer of holes. Thats is directly in  the CPU.

"Intel Inside" wasn't about the company, it was about the intelligence agencies.

Intel Management Spyware

Nicola_Piano

QuoteThe biggest problem with these alternative OS'es are the drivers.

Yes, this is also one of the biggest problems for me, in addition to all the others proposed.
You can't use anything, a scanner or a printer ... which is a real block.

Data security ... you are never really sure (pardon the pun) that this is actually guaranteed.

However I think programmers will take up a lot of their time and skills.