• Welcome to Jose's Read Only Forum 2023.

seeing lot of new project with .net

Started by Kent Sarikaya, December 15, 2007, 09:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent Sarikaya

In my crazy hours of searching to learn 3d related stuff on the web. I really noticed a lot of new sites and teams working full steam on developing engines, frameworks that are all .net based.

Just try a search for DirectX tutorials in google, the first page of results are almost all C# or managed c++ code examples and tutorials. It wasn't like this a month or two ago.

I have a feeling the performance stigma attached to .net is not a factor as much anymore with the powerful computers we have today. I don't understand this sudden increase?

Patrice Terrier

Perhaps because most of the new programmer's generation didn't learn anything else,
and because they have been told that the low level SDK procedural model is obsolete, that is of course not the truth (The whole new DWMAPI.DLL is written in pure SDK as well as GDIPLUS.DLL).

The FLAT API as they name it, is indeed reserved now to direct OS programming and for the sole use of advanced programmers  ;D

Being also a C# programmer, I am very glad to have a clear understanding of what is going on behind the hood, and when I need to fine tune things I am always switching back to plain Win32.
Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

José Roca

The whole new DWMAPI.DLL is written in pure SDK as well as GDIPLUS.DLL

And everything else. They always write the underlying code using standard functions and/or low-level COM interfaces, and then write assemblies that just contain wrapper classes.

The .NET runtime is just a COM server. Someone described .NET as a better (?) way to use COM.

Kent Sarikaya

c# is nice and you can definitely test out new ideas quickly and be willing to make major changes as it not too hard to do. I was always surprised by it not taking off, but thought that Visual Basic was the main reason. But now c# seems to be hitting its stride.

I tried a 3d engine written in c# this week. It is a free demo and very very impressive. If you want to wander around in a 3d environment and see cool areas to play with sound, physics and a beautiful landscape you will like it. As you can see performance is not an issue. It is lags a bit for me on my system and video card, but so do almost all the nice games I have at the moment.

http://www.neoaxisgroup.com/download.htm