• Welcome to Jose's Read Only Forum 2023.

I must be one of those "half brain" guy

Started by Patrice Terrier, June 01, 2010, 04:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrice Terrier

Bob,

QuoteYou want to create 64-bit DLL's, yet you've never sent us a single email to discuss it.
I thought that expressing this need on the "PowerBASIC listen" thread, would be sufficient.

Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Brice Manuel

Quote1-  There may be a few deprecated 32-bit API's in Win7/64.  (Can you name just a couple of them without scouring the 'net first?)
I actually attended the XNA 2008 Conference which is where the info I linked to came from.  I will take MS's word on this one.

Quote5-  There have been zero (0) reports of PowerBASIC failures on Win7/64 (My personal statement of fact).
Nobody in this thread claimed there has been.  I can't speak to what was said on the official forums as I am not a member there and do not read it much anymore.  Personally, my 32-bit programs written with PowerB work flawlessly on 7 64-bit (which a very large percentage of my testers are using).

Quote6-  But you're content to suggest (or imply) publicly that 32-bit PowerBASIC programs won't run correctly on this imperfect platform?
I did nothing of the sort.  I have never said or implied that 32-bit PB programs will not function correctly under a 64-bit version of Windows.  What I said is in paragraphs and each paragraph (as is standard in the English language) refers to something different.  My first paragraph is agreeing with Patrice, and explaining why I agree with him.  The second paragraph is agreeing with the "official" PB position on 64-bit and saying I understand it would NOT benefit the majority of PB users.  You shouldn't read posts through jaundiced eyes.

Quote7-  But you are absolutely confident that all 64-bit code will execute perfectly on this 100% perfect 64-bit platform?
That is a loaded (but rhetorical) question.  The code would not be running under emulation.  However, how well the code runs would depend on who made the compiler  ;)  I am sure PB 64 would be fine.  Unfortunately, that may not hold true for some of your competition ;D

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Bob Zale on June 02, 2010, 06:54:06 PMMaybe if we can get everybody riled up enough, they'll storm the PowerBASIC offices with torches at Midnight?  {smile}
With the amount of oil you have floating around down there, I wouldn't recommend torches ;)

Eros Olmi

Quote from: Bob Zale on June 02, 2010, 06:54:06 PM
... (other than the fact that only a tiny percentage of our customers need it, and would buy it, today) ...

I would buy it today !
Not because I need it but because it comes from PowerBASIC  :)
thinBasic Script Interpreter - www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community
Win7Pro 64bit - 8GB Ram - Intel i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

Patrice Terrier

Quote(other than the fact that only a tiny percentage of our customers need it, and would buy it, today)

Yep, that is a very good question to ask on the PowerBASIC forum, why don't you start a poll to listen from us?

I would also buy it today!

Patrice Terrier

Patrice Terrier

Let them/us know.

The poll has been posted here

Patrice Terrier

Brice Manuel

I can't vote, but if I could, I would vote:  Yes, I could spend $199 to have it today.

Peter Weis

I would buy it. Not because I necessarily need it but because it comes from PowerBASIC. Power Basic products are very good and very stable! But really there is no sense. At least for the moment I see no point. But one should not deny the 64-bit technology!

Regards,
Peter

Patrice Terrier

Peter,

All major compilers have it for several years now, for me this is a good reason especially when you sold commercial DLLs, or when you have code that must interract or bypass some of the underlaying operating system API (for example function hooking via detours/trampoline).

Patrice Terrier

Peter Weis

Hi Patrice,
I have to give you really right. There are now x64-bit Windows. And who do I write a DLL for 64 bit programs do I need just a 64-bit Basic compiler. And that is an important reason! Wen I do not have I must resort to another compiler. And so, Power Basic is dead!
Regards,
Peter

Bob Zale

Quote from: Peter Weis on June 03, 2010, 10:27:20 PM
And so, Power Basic is dead!

What a nice, polite sentiment.  Thank you.

Bob Zale
PowerBASIC Inc.

Patrice Terrier

I am old enough to express my opinion with no thrill, and until my karma here get down to zero, i will keep doing so ;)

Patrice Terrier

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Bob Zale on June 04, 2010, 12:52:17 AM
What a nice, polite sentiment.  Thank you.
Perhaps something got lost in translation?  In his previous post, he states that he doesn't need 64-bit support, but would buy it just because PB made it.  His last post appears to be a hypothetical statement that went awry.  I am giving him the benefit of the doubt since English isn't his native language.

Theo Gottwald

The thing will go much faster then with the step from 16 to 32 bit.
The reason is the high speed in the hardware market!

Look, the WOW64 is already going to be an optional part for windows servers.

QuoteWoW64 Is Now an Optional Feature for Server Core

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd371790(VS.85).aspx

Microsoft also gives you the sollutions:

QuoteSolution
The preferred solution is to provide a 64-bit version of the code to enable it to run on Server Core without needing WoW64.

They always start with the servers. Earlier or later there will be the first desktops without WOW64.

As a commercial Softwre provider you will have to be ready for that.

From my german point of view, it doesn't make sense to still sell DOS Versions and not have something for x64 - at least in the pipe.

QuoteSeriously, I've confirmed several times that there will be a 64-bit version of PowerBASIC.
[/size]

Hey - great news!!!
Thanks Bob, count me in as customer, as always!

I have use Purebasic 64 for some smaller projects, but i am not really used to their syntax and style.
I'd really prefer the Powerbasic way.

Patrice Terrier

Theo,

Yes, Bob has confirmed several times that there will be a 64-bit version, all those "half brain" are now well aware of that.  ;)

The problem is when?
Six months for a limited or beta version would be acceptable, while two years would not.

It is my personnal opinion, that in the case of 64-bit, the application of the strict "no vapor ware policy" is a mistake.
Because it forces some of the most advanced PB's programmers to move to C, and this shall be of a big loss for the PB's community.
From the perspective of an addon provider, the market of "C" is so much larger, that once you jumped in, you consider everything else as peanuts.

This is already the case for my GDImage and WinLIFT, very few need them in the PB's world, while there are more and more outside of it.
That's one of the two reasons why i need a 64-bit compiler today.

Patrice Terrier