• Welcome to Jose's Read Only Forum 2023.

Win32 API Tutorial (in C) PDF

Started by Theo Gottwald, January 23, 2013, 03:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theo Gottwald

For those interested in C ...

Win32 API Tutorial PDF

also recommended:

Flat-API: Win32API.chm (Helpfile)

PB-COM Tutorial. (Attached)
Objekte und Klassen (German language, attached)
Tiny Guide to x86 ASM Language (attached)

Frederick J. Harris

That's a pretty good tutorial Theo, and I've seen it recommended hundreds of times at www.cplusplus.com.  In fact, when anyone expresses interest in learning that material at that forum, that is the standard reference given, in addition to folks recommending Charles Petzold's "Programming Windows", Fifth Edition.  The only possible problem with the tutorial I have noted is that it exclusively uses the 8 bit char data type instead of the generic TCHAR data type which resolves through macros to either a char or wchar_t depending on the UNICODE and _UNICODE defines.  This fouls a whole lot of young folks up who download Microsoft's free Express editions of Visual Studio or Visual C++, because they set the default character set to use as UNICODE, and that ansi code in the Forger's Tutorial won't compile.  Its very, very easy to fix, but for someone just starting out who doesn't know to much yet it causes them a lot of grief. 

Frederick J. Harris

As an aside, there are still young folks who are interested in the Win32 Api.  Apparently everyone hasn't accepted yet that the the final last word in the evolution of programming languages is html or java script!

Theo Gottwald

Fred, if that happens, I'll rethink my actual Job and do something else.

PS: Changed the link so it works, and added some attachements to the Post.