• Welcome to Jose's Read Only Forum 2023.

Future of powerbasic

Started by Sutthisak Phongthanapanic, September 01, 2013, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Jim Dunn on September 18, 2013, 02:44:43 AM
You'll be surprised to find they have a "list"... so... you still exist...
Such a counter-productive customer service model, be hostile to your customers and consider them the enemy.  That they have a list speaks to them not the people on the list. *shrugs*

QuoteI have always considered my programming languages like tools, nothing more, nothing less, no affect there, just some of them fit better to my hand.
I agree and not every job requires the same tool.  I will continue using PB for some things as it still works fine.  It has never been my only tool and never will be.  The right tool for the right job.  The lack of portability makes PB really limited for me.  If you need to target Windows and especially legacy versions of Windows, PB is a good choice.

James OShea

PowerBASIC sent me the files for PB/Win and PB/Forms last night. I received an email from a new employee.  I do believe them and the current lack of communications should improve with this new person.  I want to thank Eric Pearson of Perfect Sync for his help in getting this resolved.

Now comes the task of learning PB/Win, which is not as well documented as it could be.  Nothing looks insurmountable.  I'll try PB/Forms for a month or two before deciding if I need a better GUI builder.  Firefly looks like it's the most VB like, which is my background. 

Brice Manuel

Hmm... You still haven't received the discs you ordered?

I am glad you got the e-versions.  Kudos to the new guy.  I hope things at PB Inc. continue to improve.

QuoteFirefly looks it's the most VB like, which is my background.

I came from a heavy background with VB.  I used FireFly in the past and I can say it is really does "feel like home" if you are a VB programmer.

Jim Dunn

Now I understand why I'm still banned from posting on the PowerBASIC board, and why Jim Bailey hasn't replied to any of my emails for a month...

James OShea said he was in the Florida accident.  Few things more important than your life, hope he recovers.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Jim Dunn on September 21, 2013, 08:23:52 PMNow I understand why I'm still banned from posting on the PowerBASIC board...

Egads, you got banned?

James OShea

Quote from: Brice Manuel on September 21, 2013, 08:02:09 PM
Hmm... You still haven't received the discs you ordered?

Not yet.  They said they will be resending them.  Now that I have the files, as long as I get the disks eventually, it's fine. 

The scenario as I understand it was they sent the first set that was lost in the mail (happens),  Jim got into an accident before he could send the second set.  It's feasible and I am willing to accept it. 

I downloaded the  Firefly Demo and installed it figuring the PB/Win would arrive long before the 30 day evaluation period was up.  Wrong.  I used it a little so I have some idea what it has to offer. 

Brice Manuel

Quote from: James OShea on September 21, 2013, 09:02:57 PMThe scenario as I understand it was they sent the first set that was lost in the mail (happens),  Jim got into an accident before he could send the second set.  It's feasible and I am willing to accept it.

It is disheartening that nobody but Jim could mail them out.  It seems PB went from being a one-man-show under Bob, to being a one-man-show under Jim.  Hopefully Jim heals up and can get back to work.  If handled properly, PB still has a long life ahead of it.

Quote from: James OShea on September 21, 2013, 09:02:57 PMI downloaded the  Firefly Demo and installed it figuring the PB/Win would arrive long before the 30 day evaluation period was up.  Wrong.  I used it a little so I have some idea what it has to offer.

There is likely a way Paul can reset that for you or perhaps give you a temporary key that will expire in 30 days.

James OShea

Quote from: Brice Manuel on September 21, 2013, 09:57:33 PM
There is likely a way Paul can reset that for you or perhaps give you a temporary key that will expire in 30 days.

I was able to use it enough to realize that it would probably be my choice to replace PB/Forms.  I am still experimenting with Phoenix Visual Design though.  It seems intellisense is the biggest benefit of Phoenix.  PB/Forms is not without it's benefits including the ability to import VB forms. 

Brice Manuel

Quote from: James OShea on September 22, 2013, 02:41:05 PMI was able to use it enough to realize that it would probably be my choice to replace PB/Forms.  I am still experimenting with Phoenix Visual Design though.  It seems intellisense is the biggest benefit of Phoenix.  PB/Forms is not without it's benefits including the ability to import VB forms.

Another nice thing about Phoenix is the way it handles tabs in the designer.  It is the way ALL GUI designers should handle tabs and is truly WYSIWYG.

PB Forms is nice too, but a bit limited and dated.  Once PB 10 came out, there were improvements that could have been made to PB Forms.  That said, I do use it for some things.

Phoenix, FireFly and EZGUI all have their pros and cons.  They do have several things in common.  All three are stable and all three have developers who care and provide excellent customer support.

Patrice Terrier

I am amazed to see that, on the PowerBASIC forum, the speculations are still going on about the topic of this thread.

While the lack of (an apparent) reaction from the official staff, should be considered indeed as the answer to the question.

???
Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

José Roca

I'm glad that the topic moved to the PB forum. No more requests to delete accounts.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on September 25, 2013, 12:30:26 PM
While the lack of (an apparent) reaction from the official staff, should be considered indeed as the answer to the question.

Indeed.

James OShea

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on September 25, 2013, 12:30:26 PM
I am amazed to see that, on the PowerBASIC forum, the speculations are still going on about the topic of this thread.While the lack of (an apparent) reaction from the official staff, should be considered indeed as the answer to the question.

I would think that until Jim gets back to work, even just from home, you will not see any official PowerBASIC representation on the board.  Jim's account still shows 08/26/13 as the last sign on.

Patrice Terrier

James--

You, and others, should forget about Jim return.  :-X
Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

James OShea

Quote from: Patrice Terrier on September 26, 2013, 08:41:40 AM
You, and others, should forget about Jim return.  :-X

There you go being "negative" again.

But seriously, why do you think that Jim will not return after he recovers?