• Welcome to Jose's Read Only Forum 2023.

Future of powerbasic

Started by Sutthisak Phongthanapanic, September 01, 2013, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Stefanik

I was thinking about PowerBasic earlier today, and the issue really isn't the core language itself. It has pretty much everything that's needed aside from 64-bit support. What the stock product lacks is a comprehensive set of headers for current versions of Windows, and it has an IDE that's straight out of 1993. There's a lot of work they could do "around the edges" to make it a better product over the short term and not even have to worry about touching the compiler itself for the time being.

That said, I was thinking that the thing for PowerBasic to do would be to license José's headers and make them standard, and license Paul's Firefly as the default IDE for the language. If they could reach some kind of agreement there, I think it would be a way to bring new developers, make an easier transition for the VB6 folks who are steering clear of .NET and bring in those upgrade dollars.

Theo Gottwald

Quote from: Mike Stefanik on October 09, 2013, 07:42:56 AM
I was thinking about PowerBasic earlier today, and the issue really isn't the core language itself. It has pretty much everything that's needed aside from 64-bit support. What the stock product lacks is a comprehensive set of headers for current versions of Windows, and it has an IDE that's straight out of 1993. There's a lot of work they could do "around the edges" to make it a better product over the short term and not even have to worry about touching the compiler itself for the time being.

That said, I was thinking that the thing for PowerBasic to do would be to license José's headers and make them standard, and license Paul's Firefly as the default IDE for the language. If they could reach some kind of agreement there, I think it would be a way to bring new developers, make an easier transition for the VB6 folks who are steering clear of .NET and bring in those upgrade dollars.

Just my opinion for long yeasrs.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Mike Stefanik on October 09, 2013, 07:42:56 AMThere's a lot of work they could do "around the edges" to make it a better product over the short term and not even have to worry about touching the compiler itself for the time being.

I agree, 100%.

Patrice Terrier

PowerBASIC web-site, seems to be down...
Patrice Terrier
GDImage (advanced graphic addon)
http://www.zapsolution.com

Mike Mayerhoffer

They are not making a good impression that is for sure.

Theo Gottwald

Last week i heared the the germans developed new Drone "together" with USA.
Means WE developed and paid the Drone, USA now flies the Drone.
Now USA has the Drone but germany is not allowed ro use it.
Germany was just forced to paid $600 Mio. for it. Its good for USA then they can use the new toy to shoot around anywhere in the word.

Lately, any messages we get from USA are bad messages.
Messages from unpaid debt, liars, terrorists, new wars, NSA and so on.
Does anybody have a good message from USA?

PS: We can now accept bets if PB will reopen or will stay shut down.
In this worst case, Gary Bene has an offline copy of the PB Forum, thats roughly actual.
We'll continue to support PB from, germany and i hope from Spain. And mostly we do WHAT WE SAY.

Kev Peel

I will miss the PB forum the most  :'(

Christian Damhus

Is PB forever gone now? Maybe they just face some server problems?

Mike Mayerhoffer

Quote from: Christian Damhus on October 13, 2013, 10:35:16 PM
Is PB forever gone now? Maybe they just face some server problems?

It has been a issue Since the passing of Bob, they don't bother to post any advance warring , send out emails or use twitter. It has a lot of people nervous thinking about all that has happened with Bob Passing.

I personally think they have the server on a wall switch and turn it off with the lights by accident. The answer is most likely NO. We just have no way of telling , but one never knows.

Kev Peel

IMO, the beginning of the end sadly began with the death of Bob on 6 Nov 2012

The best thing that could be done now is the company put up for auction before it is really too late!

Mike Mayerhoffer

Quote from: Kev Peel on October 13, 2013, 10:46:33 PM
IMO, the beginning of the end sadly began with the death of Bob on 6 Nov 2012

The best thing that could be done now is the company put up for auction before it is really too late!

Sad but true, I don't think there is more than Intellectual property and a reputation. Unfortunately the second part has been tarnished to the point of no return. Customers don't take kind to a website down and adding the unstable environment lack of any communications makes it look lie 4 cds and a coffee maker.

I have moved back to Unix and was going to dump all my PB tools and code to the PB site to day. My nephew went to collage this year and he stopped using the machine with PB on it. Might be a good thing. I would of annoyed some 3rd party vendors, so I just dumped them while typing this in the scrap bin and shredded them. Sitting here waiting, I have become very annoyed. I really don't see  any reason to drag this on any longer wasting my time Theo's  space and band width. I put one thing up here that is unique. Maybe more later, if any thing is left..uh blank I think I over did it.. It should make some people happy in more than one way ..LOL, I am really done and probably my last post regarding PB in any respect.
I will miss PB site too, I have bigger fish to fry back to the days of old. No hard feeling just out of time.

-Mike

James Klutho

It has been well over a week since Vivian said that a new team was in place, but not a peep out of the them though she said that communication was high on the list to fix.  They are not off to a good start.

Theo Gottwald

Is there hope?
Under monetary aspects i would say "stay down".
Server Maintenance?

Ok, don't worry PB-Forum is not gone. Even though "the Power" tried again to "change everything" we still have it!

Here is it:

PowerBasic Forum :-)

Keith D. Shelton

PowerBasic Server is back up.
KS

Jim Dunn