• Welcome to Jose's Read Only Forum 2023.

SpiderBasic 1.00 Alpha (PureBasic for Web)

Started by Israel Vega, January 20, 2014, 09:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Israel Vega

A version for Web from PureBasic.  May be JavaScript inside, but is good news.

This is the link with news:
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=58020

Israel Vega Alvarez

Brice Manuel

Theo Gottwald

Its free for all Purebasic Users until end of 2014.
Another Argument to get Purebasic IF you need such a thing.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: Theo Gottwald on January 21, 2014, 10:54:00 PM
Its free for all Purebasic Users until end of 2014.
Another Argument to get Purebasic IF you need such a thing.
Most have moved on to PureBasic or something else.  The only people who still seem to be using PowerBasic over on the forums are retired bedroom coders.  For them, what happens to PowerBasic really doesn't matter.  The only people who really care what happens to PB are those supporting it with third-party software.  Even some of those seem to have moved on. 

Tom Hanlin, did exactly as I said he would and he followed his Pyxia/IBasic plan.  First, he made some grandiose posts about how great he is.  Then some drunken late night nonsensical ramblings.  Then picking a fight with more respected people in the community like Jose and insulting him and his work.  There was somebody else he picked a fight with over on PowerBASIC forums.  Then he disappears again for an extended period of time (which he has already done at least twice since coming back to PowerBASIC).  This is literally a textbook repeat of what Tom did with Pyxia/IBasic.  His finishing move is he disappears one time and simply never comes back.

I have been happy to see several people over on the PureBasic forums.  I hope more will make the switch.  It is a very good product.  It is NOT outdated.  It supports modern features.  People are not banned for reporting bugs and you don't have to argue with Fred for several pages of posts to get him to admit there is a bug.  There is a wealth of third-party support by other users, code examples and tools.  Because PureBasic adheres to industry standards, it is very easy to interface with third-party products.  It is a BASIC, not a C++ wannabe, you won't find any OOP bloating the language.  Inline assembly using an industry standard assembler.

SpiderBasic came along at the right time and allows PureBasic to move into new territories.  It is only days old and in extremely good shape and has a bright future ahead of it.

Theo Gottwald

Currently my hopes on Tom are not so big, but anyway there will not be an PowerBasic x64 in the upcoming forseeing years.
Therefore PureBasic IS a good addition.
Besides that the Visual Designer that are available for PureBasic are not state of the art.
Especially the one that is integrated produces buggy code and is inacceptable for anybody coming from PowerBasic, no matter which Visual Designer he used before.
Even QTAB (Freeware) will make better code and never produce Syntax Errors.
I hope they will understand that this is no way to go and work a bit on this.

See here
VD PureBasic 5.41 produces buggy code

Israel Vega

In this link of Fred answer some questions in a recent interview:

http://www.purearea.net/pb/english/interview_2015.htm

For all people, which don't program their GUI's manually, the FormDesigner in the PB IDE is the way to go. Unfortunately it's further development is currently on hold, as 'Polo' seems to have no time for it...
How do you see it's further development in the near future? (removing it's bugs + shortcomings, adding missing functions, supporting the Dialog library, etc.)
Probably with the final goal, to get a more powerful IDE/designer for RAD development?

Fred: I don't know, adding Dialog support will be complex as it's layout based. I already spent quite some time to remove bugs, so it should work OK for regular forms. About a full RAD environment, it's still a long way to go, and I don't think we will have time for it, we want to enhance the core language first.

I would like a Firefly  but  Paul Squares takes another direction with FreeBasic

Theo Gottwald

He should try to adapt QTAB :-).
There are so many Contributions from users from the past there .. Japbe ... many others.
Or he could ask some people to join the project.
Of course he can never make something like Phoenix 3. Or WINDEV.
Even for the best programmer a Phoenix 3 project was too much (I guess it ist still not ready - did anybody hear from Dominc?).

But he can definitely make something that does not produce buggy code.
He would need to change the internal design from "code based" to ... for example "Comment based".
Actually the Form is "stored" in the code, where the user can mix it up.
Thats a design flaw.
It could be stored for example in comment lines that the user does not touch.
This way the VD will anyway generate working code.
Thats the smallest change that should be done as i see it.

I had more then 30 Syntax errors yesterday, was just before kicking the whole thing and loading firefly.

The good point about Purebasic are the libraries. For example the "VectorPrint" Library is quite useful.
It will print the right size - no matter which printer and PowerBasic does not have it.

As i see it, the libraries are OK by now, i would recommend him to go back to the roots and lower the distance to the competition about usability.
The VD from PureBasic is ten years behind from the competition, thats too much.